Forbes magazine has come out with their annual list of America’s Most Disliked Athletes. The list contains a solid mix of athletes of athletes stretching across three of the four major sports (save hockey) and a NASCAR driver. According to Forbes, the data was collected through:
“Nielsen and partner E-Poll Market Research, measuring public attitudes toward pro athletes. Players named on the list were those that scored the most responses from people describing them as athletes they “dislike”;”dislike somewhat” or “dislike a lot.” Candidates are limited to those scoring at least 10% awareness with the public.”
As for the list:
1. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles (NFL) – Pct. Dislike: 60%
2. Tiger Woods (Golf) – Pct. Dislike: 60%
3. Plaxico Burress, New York Jets (NFL) – Pct. Dislike: 56%
4. Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions (NFL) – Pct. Dislike: 51%
5. Kris Humphries, New Jersey Nets (NBA) – Pct. Dislike: 50%
6. LeBron James, Miami Heat (NBA) Pct. Dislike: 48%
7. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers – (NBA) Pct. Dislike: 45%
8. Terrell Owens, Free Agent – (NFL) Pct. Dislike: 45%
9. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees – (MLB) Pct. Dislike: 44%
10. Kurt Busch – (Nascar) Pct. Dislike: 42%
To me, the only real surprises in this list are Plaxico Burress, who played with the New York Jets after serving a prison term for gun possession and Kris Humphries, who is an average NBA forward that was married to Kim Kardashian for 72 days. Both are fairly irrelevant as far as their sports go and don’t come close to matching the star power of the others on this list. The dislike for Terrell Owens is obviously strong despite him not playing a down in the NFL this past season.
Just four months ago, Suh led Nielsen-EPoll’s survey of most liked players in the NFL. His Thanksgiving Day stomp to the arm of a Packers offensive lineman was fresh in the minds of voters.
Overall, it isn’t a good list to be on. But, for as many “haters” as these athletes have, they have the same amount, if not more, people that absolutely adore them. So in the end, the list is nothing more than a conversation topic.