The Pittsburgh Penguins have become the first NHL team to announce that they will be running a fairly sizable “we’re sorry” promotion. Fans attending any of the first four home games at the CONSOL Energy Center will be offered free selected concessions and half-off all team merchandise inside the arena.
Fans will receive a voucher for three free concession items to choose from among hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, salads and fountain drinks.
The Penguins are also running a week-long program of contests for fans to win prizes leading up to the home opener. The contests will be held via social media and the team’s website. Fans will have chances to win:
- A pair of tickets to every home game during the 2013 regular season
- A road trip for two to see the Penguins play the Rangers in New York City (airfare, accommodations, tickets)
- Three autographed jerseys – one each from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury
- Four seats in the first row at the home opener, including dinner in the Lexus Club and limo service to and from the game
- Two five-game mini-plans
- Six lower bowl tickets to any regular season game
- $700 of merchandise at PensGear
It’s quite obvious that teams will have to do some work to get fans back into the arenas nationwide. And by work I mean giving away free stuff. The Penguins have gotten that memo.